Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CDC Hotline has officially changed their window period to 3 months -- please post.
Jul 20, 2003

Dear Dr. Holidny,

I hope you will post this along with your comments.

People in this forum and others get all worked up about the window period. Is it 3 months or 6 months? Most people on thebody.com say that the window period is 3 months. But when people would call the CDC hotline, they would be told that a 3 month test is a good indicator test, but that everyone should be tested again at 6 months for a conclusive test. Of course this has always raised the question of which answer to believe.

I have great news for you all my worried well friends. The CDC hotline has said that they have officially changed their testing recommendations. I was told this by two separate hotline operators. Here is what they told me when I most recently called on 7/3/03.

"The average time to develop antibodies is 25 days. But because some people take longer than 25 days, we recommend a final follow up test at 3 months to verify your status. The 3 month test is considered conclusive. We know that at least 95 of infected people will have a positive test by 3 months. If you were exposed to someone who is known to be HIV positive, you might consider retesting at 6 months, but we leave it up to you."

Basically, the CDC hotline is now telling people that call the hotline that you can get a conclusive test at 3 months. They still say you could test at 6 months, but they are no longer recommending that everyone get tested at 6 months. They also give percentages of people converting by 3 months, information they would not give out before. This is the information that we have been waiting to hear for quite some time and is consistent with what most doctors on thebody.com have been saying for some time. Furthermore, this is exactly what their document "Guidelines for the Treatment of Sexually Transmitted Diseases", which was published in November 2001.

Go ahead and call them and see for yourself. This should give a boost of confidence to all the WW brethren.

Best wishes,

Jim.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

posted.

Previous
Could a normal CD4/CD8 ratio ever be evidence that the body is not effectively fighting HIV?
Next
Red Blood Cell Count

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.