Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Test Causing Higher VL?
Jul 20, 2003

Dr. Holodniy, Since the beginning of the year my viral load has risen from undetectable to around 1,400 copies/mml. While my CD4+ T cell count has remained between 1,000 and 1,240 cells/mml for over a decade. I've taken AZT monotherapy (since ACTG019) for eight years, then several dual nucleoside analog combinations since then.

Starting early this year my viral load has remained well above undetectable (1,400 copies/mml). When I asked my healthcare professionals about this I was told that it just might be because of the new diagnostic (PCR RNA Version 1.5), which became available early this year.

Have you heard of any other HIV+ patients suddenly having higher viral loads after the introduction of the new diagnostic (PCR RNA Version 1.5)?

Thank you.

Tom

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I am not clear as to whether you are currently on treatment. It would be extremely unusual that your viral load would go from undetectable to consistently 1400 because of assay change. I would be concerned that some element of resistant virus is present. Given that your viral load is over 1,000, a resistance test maybe in order here.

Previous
Keratinocytes.
Next
Roller Coaster Loads

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.