stomach problems/ HIV ?

Hello, I wrote some time ago about about some stomach problem that are still going on.

I'm an otherwise healthy guy who found out my HIV status in August of 1992. I've never been on meds and my t-cells have slowly fallen over the years with my current tcells being 329 21Viral load 358. My viral load has never been over 2000, t-cells never under 300 and my current 20 the lowest its ever been. About 3 months ago I was on a plane returning from a San Diego trip when suddenly I got really sick with nausea, chills, and diarrheah. I thought I got food poisoning or a bad stomach virus while I was out there but it took weeks before the symptoms were bearable enough for me to get out of bed. I went to the doctor and because I was dehydrated and still feeling sick my doctor put me in the hospital. While I was there I had every state of the art test done. stool samples, colonoscopy, endoscope, ultrasound and a few other tests and everything came back normal except gastritis and imflammation that they did several biopsies on and all came back normal. Here it is 3 months later and I'm still having bad nausea, bloating, gas, occasional diahrea and sometimes I feel like i'm going to throw up. I'm not nearly as sick as I was 3 months but its really interfering in my life and i'm scared that its something thats not going to go. I'm also getting really depressed and not leaving the house much.

At my last visit with my doc said that since they can't find anything that maybe it's HIV and wants to start me on medications, when at first he thought it had nothing to do with HIV because my t-cells were too high. My questions are: Could I have some kind of parasite that they didn't catch on the stool sample (are they 100 accurate.) With my stomach still sick, what HIV meds can I start that won't make my stomach ever worse (if thats possible!) Are stomach problems like this common in people who are experiencing their first symptoms from HIV?

Thanks so much,

:( in Chicago

From your brief history, it sounds like an acute event, such as an acute infectious gastroenteritis, is what was going on. It also sounds like they gave you a very good diagnostic workup without a cause. Most infectious causes for symptoms such as yours reveal themselves through culture or biopsy. Sometimes we have to go back and do the workup again. Given the duration of HIV infection and your CD4 count and viral load, your symptoms seem very unusual for HIV alone to be causing them.

How fast does it progress w/out meds?
AIDS