The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hiv to AIDS only 1 year after initial infection

May 18, 2003

I was tested negative for HIV 1.2 years ago, but seemed to have symptoms of flulike hiv contraction at that time. Since then i got retested just over a year later and my result was not only hiv pos, but AIDS with CD4 count 97 and viral load of 400,000 with many symptoms of infections today which brought me to get retested and nutritional issues from my stomach always being so sick recently. Is just over a year really fast to go from a Neg test result for HIV to AIDS and being sick with symptoms. Also does the fact i got sick in 1 year , being much sooner than the average 7-14 years after initial infection going to make my recovery more difficult or once i start meds in a couple of weeks will they work same strenght in me as someone who is progressing much slower? What is best for me to do at this point?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

It is unusual, but not unheard of. This is a complex issue that depends on your underlying immune system and the type of virus that got transmitted to you. Some viral strains are more aggressive in attacking and killing t cells than others. There are some research lab-based tests that can differentiate HIV viral strains, but these are not commercially available. In your case treatment should start now. These more aggressive viruses do respond to treatment just as well as far as we know.

valium and generic equivalent
CD4/8 Ratio

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint