Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Strict Job Guidelines and Counts
Apr 29, 2003

I was planning on attending a school for a particular job, then getting hired with the government. Because of the importance of health and safety concerns for aviation, the gov't has strict guidelines on VL and CD4 counts to pass the medical. They say that at initial application, VL must not exceed 1,000 and CD4 CAN be under 200 and still get clearance. Doesn't it make sense that the VL should be of less importance than CD4 and wouldn't it make sense for me to appeal if they deny me with a CD4 of 535 and at time of last test, 3/06/03, VL 48,000? I know VL can vary greatly, so I don't see why the need in such strict standards on VL. I was told the only way for most to be <1,000 is with meds and I don't feel I should take them at this time.....

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Sorry, this question got buried. You face an interesting dilemma. You are in a bit of a catch 22. I don't know what is driving the decisions on viral load, unless their thought is that the risk of exposure and subsequent infection in the event of a traumatic injury is much lower, when the viral load is < 1000. You are indeed correct that given your current CD4 count and viral load, most experts (and published guidelines) would not recommend treatment for you at this time. Unless they have compelling reasons for denial, appeal would then seem in order.

Previous
Can I take a drug holliday
Next
testb result

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.