Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

cd8 issue
Apr 29, 2003

Please Dr,

I have never really understood this issue, importance, and the best trend the cd8 should take in hiv related cases.

Now, is cd4= 430 and cd8= 1530 and vl= 35000 better than a cd4= 327 and cd8= 950 and vl= 25000 ?

I had read sometimes here that it is the hiv that causes the cd8 to keep on rising.

So doctor which trend should we consider ?

thanks

Response from Dr. Holodniy

You can't just follow the absolute numbers of CD8 cells. It also depends on how good they function and can contain viral replication. We don't have routine lab tests to answer this question, which in turn would answer your question. There is probably not alot of difference between the two hypothetical patients you have listed. I would argue though that there is great difference between those two and the following two: CD4 50 CD8 350 and viral load 125,000 and CD4 600 CD8 1800 and viral load < 50 (on no meds).

Previous
Please answer 3rd time asking
Next
Viral Load Up, Cd4 Up

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.