cd8 issue

Please Dr,

I have never really understood this issue, importance, and the best trend the cd8 should take in hiv related cases.

Now, is cd4= 430 and cd8= 1530 and vl= 35000 better than a cd4= 327 and cd8= 950 and vl= 25000 ?

I had read sometimes here that it is the hiv that causes the cd8 to keep on rising.

So doctor which trend should we consider ?

thanks

You can't just follow the absolute numbers of CD8 cells. It also depends on how good they function and can contain viral replication. We don't have routine lab tests to answer this question, which in turn would answer your question. There is probably not alot of difference between the two hypothetical patients you have listed. I would argue though that there is great difference between those two and the following two: CD4 50 CD8 350 and viral load 125,000 and CD4 600 CD8 1800 and viral load < 50 (on no meds).

Please answer 3rd time asking
Viral Load Up, Cd4 Up