Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Africa: HIV or AIDS
Apr 28, 2003

I know this might not be the correct forum for this question, but after reading many Q&A's on this site, I find you to be the best informed on the widest variety of HIV/AIDS topics.

When we hear about Africa having a whopping 10 of their workforce infected with HIV/AIDS, what exactly does this mean. Is this AIDS illness or is it confirmed HIV positive serostatus based on ELISA/EIA testing?

Do many in Africa test negative for the HIV antibody, but manifest AIDS illness? Do we consider these people to be HIV infected? Do we assume there strain is a variant strain not picked up by the tests?

If it is the case that some 10 of Africa's workforce is infected with this illness one way or another, I need to put something into perspective here. HIV is not a particularly easy virus to catch. 10 boarders on the frequency of EBV or CMV infection in the general western population. I know that lack of circumcision allows for heterosexual men to more easily contract the virus from women, but even so. Are Africans doing it like bunnies over there? I doubt we understand the whole story. In fact, I'm quite certain we understand only a fraction of the reason for HIV's astounding prevalence in Africa and other third world regions.

Do you honestly believe there isn't a very strange feeling to this whole situation? Some kind of missing link? Possibly putting our HIV tests and criteria for what constitutes AIDS illness into question?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I am not sure when you say "10" what that refers to. In some African countries, as much as 30% of the adult population is HIV antibody positive. Because of the poor access to expensive HIV drugs many of these people will progress to AIDS and succumb from the illness.

Previous
antibody production
Next
Full blown AIDS

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.