How am I doing?

I was hospitalized in September with Sodium level at 15 and Potassium level also abnormally low (obviously severe electrolyte imbalance). I lost about 40# in about 4 maybe 5 weeks. I could not eat due to Thrush, a total loss of taste and an acute sense of smell and I had pneumocystis. My HIV results came back the second day of hospitalization (previous HIV test was inconclusive) and the results were not unexpected: VL 38,917 CD4 26/4. Lots of tests and IVs later, my lover of nearly 30 years took his own life (he was never tested, but couldn't face additional suffering). I had lots of problems with the loss because we were inseparable. I have an excellent Aids doctor and a strong relationship established with his nurse practictioner. The doctor assured my lover and me that I would live a normal life span if I took my meds. I am 58 years old and I do take my meds religiously in spite of possible allergies to the meds. I am on Kaletra and Combivir and they seem to be working well and I am on Zoloft 100mg and Acyclovir, Prevacid, Lopid, Zithromax and Pentamadine 1xmonth...My VL is now under 50 and the CD4 is at 65/10...new tests were just done today and I will have those results in 2 weeks when I go back to the doctor. I have gained most of the weight back I previously lost and my taste and smell are fairly normal. What I want to know is how am I doing?

Wow, sounds like you have been through alot. But it also sounds like your doctors and you are doing all the right things. You have had a great viral response, and because your CD4 cells were so low, it will take some time for them to increase further. But I am encouraged by the dramatic percentage increase. All in all, I think you are doing great.

Hepatitus C reports
cd8 and cd4