Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How am I doing?
Apr 3, 2003

I was hospitalized in September with Sodium level at 15 and Potassium level also abnormally low (obviously severe electrolyte imbalance). I lost about 40# in about 4 maybe 5 weeks. I could not eat due to Thrush, a total loss of taste and an acute sense of smell and I had pneumocystis. My HIV results came back the second day of hospitalization (previous HIV test was inconclusive) and the results were not unexpected: VL 38,917 CD4 26/4. Lots of tests and IVs later, my lover of nearly 30 years took his own life (he was never tested, but couldn't face additional suffering). I had lots of problems with the loss because we were inseparable. I have an excellent Aids doctor and a strong relationship established with his nurse practictioner. The doctor assured my lover and me that I would live a normal life span if I took my meds. I am 58 years old and I do take my meds religiously in spite of possible allergies to the meds. I am on Kaletra and Combivir and they seem to be working well and I am on Zoloft 100mg and Acyclovir, Prevacid, Lopid, Zithromax and Pentamadine 1xmonth...My VL is now under 50 and the CD4 is at 65/10...new tests were just done today and I will have those results in 2 weeks when I go back to the doctor. I have gained most of the weight back I previously lost and my taste and smell are fairly normal. What I want to know is how am I doing?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Wow, sounds like you have been through alot. But it also sounds like your doctors and you are doing all the right things. You have had a great viral response, and because your CD4 cells were so low, it will take some time for them to increase further. But I am encouraged by the dramatic percentage increase. All in all, I think you are doing great.

Previous
Hepatitus C reports
Next
cd8 and cd4

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.