The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can one raise CD4 count?

Mar 30, 2003

I tested positive in 1986. My highest VL was 750,000 6 years ago and lowest CD4 about 320. My highest CD4 was 1,090 which was 3 years ago and my VL dropped from 750K over a short period of time to undetectable after I started protease inhibitors. It has remained so, with an occational blip up. My CD4 count has dropped over time and has stayed about 500 over the last year or so. I am off protease inhibitors now for about 1 year, but still on other meds. My last test was VL undetectable and CD4 just under 500. Other people have asked you if there was a way to increase CD4 cells and I have not seen a direct answer. My Doc says I'm doing great and not to obsess over CD4 cells. I don't know my ratios, but he said they are very good. I also know he is right telling me not to obsess, but is there anyway to increase CD4 cells, or are they just going to be what they are?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Your doctor is right. Your numbers are great. One way to increase CD4 counts would be to use interleukin 2. IL-2 is t cell growth factor. It has been studied for many years and can relatively safely increase CD4 count. Whether those CD4 cells are effective or not is still the subject of controversy. There are lots of other anecdotal reports of health supplements, herbs or other substances increasing CD4 counts. But I think you are in very good shape now.

lymph gland percentage
no meds viral load still down

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint