Absolutely confused with results

Hi, please help me with this issue. I had been on Trizivir for 18 months. Took out the AZT and swapped in Viread in October. Undetectable all along. January of this year, also undetectable. February comes along and all of a sudden I have a viral load of 67K. Four days after that blood draw and I get these results I have it done again. It must be a mistake right, nope, this draw says VL of 970. MD throws back in the AZT, which I hate (side effects). What do I do now?

I agree, something doesn't make sense. Swapping one drug for another when your viral load is undetectable, should not have this kind of effect on your viral load. Also, there is a significant difference between the first viral load of 67,000 and the repeat of 970, which doesn't make sense. You were certainly right in having the first test repeated. Although I understand his concern, because the first regimen was working and all hell broke loose when it was changed, I might have waited a bit longer to see what the best of three result would have been. The only explanations are: lab error, acute illness in you resulting in a transient viral load increase, or underlying resistance, which became unmasked with viread and had been suppressed by AZT.

Liver Function
CD4 rising slowly. Why?