What is ALK PHOS

Dr. Doctor,

I had a question on my ALK PHOS result on my HIV lab test. What exactly is it??? Since my diagnosis 10 months ago, it went from 79 in March '02 to 123 in December '02. Is their cause for alarm since it seems to increase at each of my lab test??? I'm on the Kaletra/Combivir regimen. Thank you

Alkaline phosphatase is an enzyme involved in many functions in many tissues. It can be elevated if there are problems in the liver or bones for instance. I am not sure that the elevation you describe is that significant.

Is CD4 more important than CD4#?
Interpretation of log reduction to reduction to absolute copies of HCV