Med restart after STI

Hey Dr Mark,

I began HAART April 99 with cd253 vl 19000, <50 @ 7 mos, with rising T's (670) and <50 I began Week on/off after Durbin (July 2000) T's continued to rise to over 1,000 a couple of blip 80 and 170 then 50 ever since- I Halted treatment Mar '02 still over 1,000 and <50. Now in Feb '03 I have cd 484 (28.5) and vl 2200. My only Rx's zerit-ziagen-viramune. I've since restarted with ziagen(2 300mg) epivir(2 150mg) sustiva(1 600mg) 1x daily. I figure I lost 50 cells per month off treatment. Are these results common in your practice? Am I nuts regarding risks involved? All labs good off treatment btw...cholesterol 176 trig 89...and sustiva effects remind me of quaaludes from the 1970's...how did they ever get it. What I'm asking is - does auto immunity show promise? And what is this polycional Dr. Dezube Stuff about? approved...not complaining mind you...

We are certainly not advocating STIs currently in clinical practice until more data is available from clinical trials. Part of what the CD4 count loss would be is dependent on what your baseline CD4 count and viral load prior to ever starting treatment was. Some people suscribe to the theory that a little virus (antigen) now and then is good and important for the immune system to continue to see in order for a good response to be maintained. I think the jury is still out on this theory. I would also be concerned about the risk of developing resistance to HIV drugs with such frequent stopping and starting.

viral load range at set point
vih and semen