Recent HIV Infection

Infection date 12/3/02, became very ill 12/25/02 for 34 days(fever, chills,12 weight loss, rash). Blood test 2/13/03 T-cell 586, viral load 120,000. Second blood test 3/4/03 T-cell 546, viral load 95,000. Have started drug regimen. Is there a statistical correlation that would suggest people that get very ill after primary infection and show the viral loads that I have will develop AIDS soon or that the time before AIDS complications will be shorter than people that had no or mild primary infection symptons and when tested 3 to 4 months after infection showd 10,000 to 20,000 viral loads. I have heard of viral load tests at 10,000 to 20,000 and they remain that way for years.....is my "set-point" likely to drop to undetectable? I am in a sort of panic here....hate the not knowing. Thanks

WE may not know what your set point is, since you started treatment relatively early in the infection. Usually it takes about 6 months or so to stablize you immune system and viral replication equilibrium. There were some very early studies (almost 10 years ago now), where people with severe symptoms and/or very high viral loads progressed more quickly. But these studies were done during a time when we did not have the effective treatment we have today. In other words, since you are on treatment, it is unlikely that this very old natural history data in the absence of treatment, applies to you.

Viral Load and antibodies
vl drops but tcells dropped a bit too