Rejected Blood Donation

Hi Dr. Holodniy, Thank you for taking the time to answer all of these questions. You are helping out a lot of people.

I donated blood recently, and I just recieved a letter from the Red Cross yesterday stating that they had to destroy my blood due to an ALT level of 296. I tested Negative for Hepatitis A,B,and C. What else could these results mean? Could they indicate possible HIV infection? Would they still have tested my blood for HIV, even though they already rejected it? If so, would they notify me if I was HIV+? Sorry for all of the questions, but I am really scared. Thanks for all that you do! Amanda

They would have tested the blood for HIV and a few other infections as well. An elevated ALT is not diagnostic for a specific disease, but in general indicates some inflammation of the liver.

VL and vaccines
Confused