Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Stumped on Blood Tests
Dec 31, 2002

Hi Dr. Holodiny, First of all, I would really like to thank you for giving us really imformative answers. I think I speak for everyone that reads posts in this forum when I say that.

My question has to do with my labs. I just recently found out that I was HIV+, and I don't quite know how to read my results. My Dr. told me that my Viral Load was 12,000, I don't know if that is good or bad. He didn't say anything about my CD4 count, but he did hand me my test results. I was wondering if maybe you could tell me what my CD4 was based on my CBCw/diff? If you can, here they are:

WBC:9.0 Neutrophils:58.0 Lymphocytes:34.5 Monocytes:6.2 Eosinphils:0.9 Basophils:.04 Absolute Neutrophil:5.2 Absolute Lymphocyte:3.1 Absolute Momocyte:0.6 Absolute Eosinophil:0.1 Absolute Basophil:0.0

Is my understanding that lymphocytes are CD4 cells by another name? What is the CD8 and the CD8 ratio? I am new to all of this and I have no idea if my counts are good or bad. I am a female if that makes any difference in the counts. Also, by these counts, would you be able to tell if I was infected recently, or many years ago? Sorry for all the questions! I hate being in the dark when it comes to my health! Thank you so much for all you do!

Response from Dr. Holodniy

There is not enough information on a CBC with differential count to determine a CD4 count. That requires a special additional test. A CD4 count could be ordered as: t cell subsets, t helper cells, T4 count, or CD4/CD8 counts. Cd4 cells are the cells primarily infected by HIV. CD8 cells (or t suppressor or cytotoxic t cells) are the primary cell involved with controlling HIV infection. In HIV infection, the CD4 count goes down and the CD8 count goes up. So the CD4/CD8 cell ratio, would then go down with infection. At this point without a CD4 count, we can't tell how impacted your immune system is by the infection. Your viral load is in the low to moderate range.

Previous
creatinine level
Next
what does DIFF+ mean?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.