Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

CD4 stability ?

Dear Dr's,

As I understand it, the CD4 is supposed to be somewhat stable compared to absolute CD4 and VL numbers. Perhaps you can clear up my confusion regarding this? Here's a short history .... Jun01 CD4=429, VL=48K, CD4=19 Oct01 CD4=419, Vl=68K, CD4=20 Jan02 CD4=382, VL=79K, CD4=15 APR02 CD4=379, VL=138K,CD4=19 Nov02 CD4=341, VL=91K, CD4=16

I'm not currently on any meds as per my specialist. He also told me that the 15 back in Jan02 was a probably mistake.... and then it showed back in 19 range for Apr02.... good:-) Now , the latest has dropped back to 16...as well as a drop in VL. I haven't spoken to my Dr. since the last tests but he sent a letter to my GP stating that all appears stable. Can you explain the trend I'm having ? Sometimes I think I understand whats happening or supposed to happen and then ???? Thanks for any help. This website and you guys are great !!!

Assuming that your doctor has not switched labs or the lab has not changed methods, there can be some variability in CD4 percentage and CD4 count related to underlying illness or vaccination during a day when you get your counts done. I don't see any significant differences in the viral loads over time. However having that consistent level of moderately high detectable virus, I am a bit concerned about the CD4 count and percentage trend down over the last year and a half. If on the next set of numbers the percentage and absolute count are still done, then it's probably real, and you may want to rethink the treatment question.

PCR HCV negative?
Western Blot Test