Dec 26, 2002
I've just found out that I was infected with sub-type A/E. Contracted in Thailand but still not clear on the what this means. My last counts were CD4=382(19) and vl=138000. Infected almost 4yrs. My Doc says I'm stable and is not suggesting therapy. Tests show no resistence for any meds. Thanks for this website !!
Response from Dr. Holodniy
A subtype A/E, could indicate one of two possibilities. Either you are infected with both an A and E strain/subtype of virus, or you are infected with a circulating recombinant form (CRF) of HIV-1 that contains pieces of both an A and E subtype. It is known and previously described both in the test tube and in people, that subtypes of HIV-1 can combine to form new strains of virus. Whether these CRFs are more or less virulent in people is not known.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Ache In Testicles After Unprotected Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
- Cold Hands After Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Loose Stool After Sucking Penis Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Swollen Glands After Lap Dance Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling In Fingers After Vaginal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Vomiting After Unprotected Oral Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.