Sub-type A/E

Dear Dr's,

I've just found out that I was infected with sub-type A/E. Contracted in Thailand but still not clear on the what this means. My last counts were CD4=382(19) and vl=138000. Infected almost 4yrs. My Doc says I'm stable and is not suggesting therapy. Tests show no resistence for any meds. Thanks for this website !!

A subtype A/E, could indicate one of two possibilities. Either you are infected with both an A and E strain/subtype of virus, or you are infected with a circulating recombinant form (CRF) of HIV-1 that contains pieces of both an A and E subtype. It is known and previously described both in the test tube and in people, that subtypes of HIV-1 can combine to form new strains of virus. Whether these CRFs are more or less virulent in people is not known.

FDA Approval?
Sustiva, Epivir, and Viread?