Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

high iron ferritin
Nov 24, 2002

can you explain a bit about what is normal / abnormal levels of ferritin and other counts involving high iron and how it might affect hcv and or hiv treatment. i failed rebetron treatment. a year or so before that, in my reading, i discovered that i had a ferritin level over 1200. i convinced, finally, my hiv doc that i needed phlebotomies and the numbers went down to the triple digits, but when i look at iron overload websites, they swear that it is still way too high. i am afraid that my hep c treatment didnt work bcause of this. my hiv is in check but hey, i want to cure the curable!!! hep c "can" be cleared and i want treatment again at some point. i want to give it the best chance of working. its tough treatment but i would even try daily consensus if given the chance. i have not had a test for hemachromatosis and my half sister tests negative. my dad isnt around for testing. i'm not all that sure it matters if i am hemachromatosis poz, just that the associated counts may be too high. i need some really clear answers to what normal numbers are and if i should be there before attempting treatment again. that is, if i can find someone willing to try treating my hep c again. so phlebotomies, lobotomies, i may need both soon if i cant feel confident in the right thing to do. thanks a million for your time and response!!! poz chickie

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Your HIV or GI doc, should have some answers for you. I assume you had a liver biopsy prior to HCV treatment. That could shed some light on what also may be going on in your liver. Although it is likely in you that the ferritin is high because of liver disease, it can be a marker for other inflammatory diseases as well.

Previous
CD8/CD4 ratio
Next
undetectable...no meds????

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.