recent infection

I asked last week about my brother's high 500,000 viral load and 550C4, if infact he could have been recently infected. You said quite possibly, due to the high viral load. He is suspicious of his partner. My brother has been faithful, but a month or 3 ago his partner became very ill, high fevers, sick for a week or so. Then my bro became ill aswell, although not as badly, with more constant headache. He had a bad feeling, (maybe some other health/personal problems) and did a test. With a positive result. The thing is, his partner has just tested negative. His partner also had an ex boyfriend HIV pos, they lived togehter and he didn't get it. (immune?) My question is, is it possible for someone to be only a carrier? Is it possible that his partner picked up the virus recently, passed it on to my brother without testing positive himself? Or...on the other hand, is it likely for someone to have such a high viral load and good c4, and have had the virus for 1.5 years or more? It just that it is very confusing for him, he believes he had always had safe sex before his recent partner. So he is very confused as to how he could have contracted hiv. Thank you for any illumination.

It's hard to invoke the intermediary theory. It is also possible that infection has gone on for longer than one year with a high viral load like that. Not all people come down to some lower level.

subtype A/E
RE-Is this overtreatment follow up question?