subtype A/E

Hi Dr's,

I was informed that my subtype was A/E. Can you explain this to me please. Have I been infected by 2 strains ? Thank you !

Yes and no. Although most people have a single HIV subtype virus infection, some people have what is referred to as a CRF, circulating recombinant form. A CRF is indeed pieces of usually two subtypes that have combined together to form a new recombinant form. The possibilities are that you were infected with this CRF, or that you had been exposed to the two different subtypes and they came together within you.

Can ars appear, leave, and come again?
recent infection