2 points make a line

Please find below my first question and your reply. My second set of results were T cell 268 and VL 37,500 and there was 1 month between results. What's your opinion?

Just got my first lab test back Posted: Aug 16, 2002

I tested negative to HIV in July 2001. I have just tested positive in July 2002. My first T-cell count is 370 and viral load 87,000. What should I expect to see on my next test (6 weeks), are you surprised by by viral load reading?

I am not surprised by the viral load level. I can't predict what your next numbers might be. Two points make a line and so your next set of numbers will probably better determine where you are.

The difference between the two viral loads is within the variability of the assay. Your CD4 count is obviously down about 100, but I would like to know the CD4 percentages as well. If the CD4 percent is the same, then I am not as concerned. If however the CD4 percent has also decrease by 3% or greater, then this indicates that viral replication is chewing up your CD4 cells. You would also be in the range where I would probably be recommending treatment.

Journal Reference
eosinophils