Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Abdnormal PapSmear
Sep 15, 2002

I am 44 yrs old and have yearly pap smears and mamograms. This year my pap smear came back with "atypical cells". The nurse said my doctor would repeat pap in 4 mths. What does that actually mean (atypical cells) ? My mamogram came back with what appears to be a mass in my left breast. I am to have a sonogram soon. Do you think it is a good idea to have the CA blood test?

Response from Dr. Dezube

An annual Pap test is the best way to screen women for cervical cancer. Nearly all cervical cancers are thought to arise from certain strains of HPV (human papillomavirus, also known as the wart virus). Two million US women each year get the most common abnormal Pap result, called ASCUS, or atypical cells of undetermined significance.

What to do with the ASCUS results? Many experts would recommend that you get HPV testing. This is no more complicated than a Pap test. Cells are collected and tested to determine what strain of HPV you have. Certain HPV strains are more worrisome than other HPV strains. If you have an HPV strain linked to cervical cancer (a more worrisome strain), then the the next step would be a culposcopy. Culposcopy is an examination of the cervix under a special microscopy during which biopsies are taken. If you have a not-so-worrisome HPV test, then culposcopy is not necessary.

So in short, I'd recommend HPV testing and depending upon the result you may need culposcopy. I should add that the HPV test is approved exactly for this situation-- to clarify ASCUS results.

For those of you who like to read medical literature, here's the reference: Journal of the American Medical Association, 2002;287:2372-2390 (two articles).

Previous
Positive antigranulocyte antibody
Next
Idiopathic cd4 depletion syndrome

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.