cd4 count using manual method

Hi doc,

I just did my lab work in Africa and found out my cd4 count was 430 using manual method! What does maual method in detecting cd4 count involve? How reliable is this manual method? I am worried because the last time I did it in the states 3 months ago, it was 630! Can it go down so fast!!

I am not sure what the manual method is that you refer to. There are many different ways that CD4 counts could be obtained. In general, the CD4 percentage is a more stable number compared to the absolute number. It is also important to look at the trend with more than two numbers.

What the hell is going on with my quarterly blood results
Very low CD4 and high VL