Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

truth about hepatitis' affect on antibody testing
Sep 6, 2002

Dear Dr. Little

I have read conflicting information about hepatitis' affect on the antibody test. You had stating to a person that was exposed to HCV through blood that they may have to test beyond 3 months. You said that HCV can delay seroconversion and that they have to retest at 6 months and again at 12. I read another response by a different DR. on this site that hepatitis does not affect antibody testing. I need clarification because I believe that I may have come in contact with the blood of a known HIV postive perosn. I never considered HCV in the equation and now I fear that I may not be seroconverting bacause of a potential exposure to HCV. I had 3 tests done the last being 6 months after the exposure. Now I am afraid that the true results won't be known until an additional 6 months. Please help me in regards to this. The first 6 months was hell and the next will be hell as well. Not everyone can afford those expensive tests. For many of us the ELISA is all we have in finding out our HIV status. I am also afraid that I may be missing out on early treatment due to late seroconversion.

Response from Dr. Little

The key word is "MAY" delay HIV seroconversion. It has been reported in the literature - VERY RARELY - and as such, repeat HIV testing beyond 6 months MIGHT be considered if Hep C coinfection has been documented. This is rare enough that it is not even part of the CDC public health service guidelines as anything more than a consideration of this possibility. It is not a routine recomendation.

Previous
Lab results could they mean resistence?
Next
indetectab

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.