ELISA Positive, VL <50 ,HIV+?
Aug 23, 2002
I tested positive for my ELISA test, and just got my VL results back. It is an HIV-1 RNA Quantitation by bDNA and my HIV copies /mL is <50. Symptoms of sickness for past 6-9months.
Do you think I have a chance of being HIV+?
My Doctor said that because my VL results were negative she wants to me to be retested in 3 months. She seemed pretty casual, however Im not completely confident that the VL is completely accurate. Help understand all this please...thanks so much
Response from Dr. Holodniy
You did not indicate whether a western blot test was performed to confirm the ELISA screening test. A western blot should have been performed prior to the viral load test. This would resolve the discordance between the test results.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Unprotected Oral Sex Without Ejaculation And HIV Transmission Risk
- Is Sore Throat A Sign Of Acute HIV Infection?
- Itchy Scrotum After Touching Vaginal Fluid Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Female Condom To Prevent Bleeding During Sex
- How Long After Unprotected Sex Does It Take To Know You May Have A Std?
- How Long Do You Have To Wait Until You Can Get Tested For An Std?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.