Aug 11, 2002
do you think stem cell research/ genetic therapy offers hope in eradicating the hiv virus from the host? if so, why isn't there more research being done on this. it seems it is possible to make a new immune system and/or de-program the hiv strand. thank you for reading this.
Response from Dr. Holodniy
Clinical studies and clinical trials are currently being conducted using a persons own stem cells. Different strategies are being explored. For instance, putting genes into stem cells with the hope these cells will differentiate into t cells that resist HIV infection or produce different chemicals which fight the infection better. It just takes time and money.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Flu Symptoms After Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Penis Discharge After Receptive Anal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- White Bumps On Penis After Touching Dried Semen Worried I Have HIV
- White Discharge After Licking Rectum Worried I Have HIV
- Can You Get Herpes If You Use A Condom?
- Causative Agents Of Sexually Transmitted Diseases
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.