Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Re: which is more accurate
Aug 4, 2002

I asked the question about the difference in test methologies.I have another question.My new doctor is very reasonable and willing to work with me from all aspects of treatment,Therefore he has allowed me to use the lab I have been using for the last 8 years so my results stay consistant.I guess there was a miscommunication with the nurse and the test codes for the vl(bdna vs. pcr)If I come out detectable with pcr as you sugested may happen would you reccommend retesting with bdna and then just going back to that version all the time or starting a new with pcr and following that trend?The biggie here is I am getting ready for a monitored treatment interruption and both my doc and myself wanted the most up to date numbers before we commence.What is you opinion? Also do to have a personal preference on which test you like better in clinical practice? Finally which would be the better one to use during a sti for monthly monitoring? Thank you

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Either strategy, continuing to use bDNA, or re-baselining with PCR will work. Both tests are comparable in terms of accuracy.

Previous
lymphenadopathy
Next
STD and Viral load question!!!!!!!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.