Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

testing overseas at military clinic
Mar 1, 2001

Dear Dr. Holodniy,

I would appreciate your suggestions on how I should talk to my clinic about a missing HIV test. I'm an American working overseas and have been exposed to some blood from war refugees. I've had some uncommon health problems since starting to work overseas, which I've usually attributed to stress and unsanitary conditions. Yet, I decided it would be a a good idea to be tested for HIV just in case. The only option open to me was getting tested at a nearby military clinic. I was tested in December and now it is almost March and I've not got any results back. Initially, they told me that they would call me within 4 weeks with the result. When I checked with them again at the end of January they told me that they would only call if the test was negative. However, if it was positive they said my results would be forwarded to my "employer" who would in turn relay the information down to me! I tried to argue that I, not my employer, was the one that had paid 450 for the test. Yet, arguing about an HIV test in a crowed public place just made me more stressed and upset. I finally left the clinic and decided that I would just have to wait for the result. Yet, now I am in week 9 without any result. I really don't want this test hanging over my head any longer, but I'm just unclear how to approach the clinic staff when I return this time. Would it be reasonable to demand the result or to be tested again? What should I do if they tell me to just keep waiting?

respectfully,

a guy alone and far from home

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I have no experience with that kind of bureaucracy. Is it possible to go to a civilian clinic?

Previous
hiv negative and viral load
Next
testing for HIV/Aids

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.