Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What's the real picture?
Jul 5, 2002

I've bee n going through all my labs over the last several years to gain a better under standing of what my baselines REALLY were.The response to your previous post got me wondering.My very first vl done in '96 was done by bdna it was 40,000. then down the road it rose to 190,000 also bdna(this was 6 years ago.)So,were these my real numbers,or were they double that?These were pretreatment numbers.for some reason two years later I noticed pcr was being used and I was showing a 4000 load how does that relate to bdna? We continued with pcr and it was always <than 400 then when third generation bdna was available that was always <50. So I am in a good place now but I'm wondering what these early (pretreatment)and the 4000pcr really translate to? Thank you

Response from Dr. Holodniy

The PCR values in general are two times the bDNA values. It is very conceivable that your first bDNA numbers are your true baseline and there could be variability because of the assay, intercurrent infections or just time, etc to account for the differences in bDNA values. The PCR value is not in line with the prior bDNA values and seems low to me.

Previous
Is it possible?
Next
HIV1&2 DIFFERENCE

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.