How Long?

I am a 35 year old single Mom of 3 young children. I just found out that I am HIV positive on June 10th. My viral load is 5840 and my CD4 is 290. I am terrified and depressed. I just started Crixivan and Combivir. PLEASE tell me what my prognosis is. How long can I expect to stay healthy? I really want to raise my children to adulthood because they have noone else.

Prognosis is a very difficult question to answer. Given your starting CD4 count and viral load, you are in pretty good shape. Starting treatment was appropriate and should result in an undetectable viral load and marked increase in CD4 count. Continued adherence to meds and attention to lifestyle and nutrition issues, should result in a long productive life.

DNA PCR HIV
Is it possible?