hair falling out

Is it true that HIV causes your hair to fall out. My hair has been coming out in clumps. Doctor is testing me for possible thyroid problem but said that HIV causes hair loss. I haven't heard of that yet. Could it be my meds...viracept, videx, and zerit? Also, when he wrote down my VL and CD4 on paper for me, he wrote: VL=459, and CD4=288 (18). what exactly does the 18 mean? thank you for your answers.

18 is the precentage of CD4 cells. Hair falling out in clumps is not a usual manifestation of HIV infection or caused from the meds you are on. HIV can result in some hair loss over time. There are some autoimmune diseases that can also cause such hair loss. I agree with thyroid tests.

pregnancy
Pediatric hiv