Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

A VL Set Point?
May 27, 2002

Dear Dr.

After being on HAART for nearly 5 years, I recently started a drug holiday. I quit mostly because of lipodystrophy issues, and really just wanting a break. My question is, I started treatment within 2-3 mos of infection. Naturally, my VL was around 200,000 and CD4 540 at that time. When do you reach a VL set point.I Have been undectable for the most part during the 5 yrs with CD4's running anywhere from 700-1200. My latest labs while off meds for 3 weeks were CD4 at 960, VL not back as of today. How long after being off meds is true indicator of VL set point and disease progression probability.

Thank-You for answering this confusing question.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Usually after 3 months off treatment.

Previous
CD4s holding steady
Next
CD4 keeps going down

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.