Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV and Herpes co-infection
May 27, 2002

I am a 37-year old gay male who tested HIV positive in February of this year. I was told that my infection must have happened within the past 6 months and I can narrow it down to the last week of December 2001. I was also told that my genital Herpes test came back positive. I've had my first Hep. A shot about 2 years ago and was urged to get the second one as well as get the first of three Hep. B shots shortly after my positive HIV test result. My inital viral load count was 1400 using PCR and 533 using bDNA and my Cd4 cells count was 450. Given the low numbers and the positive Herpes test, could it be possible that my HIV positive test was due to my Herpes exposure? Do you recommend I test again?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Your HIV viral load is low positive by two different technologies. Given this viral load level and your current CD4 count, HIV treatment is not recommended at this time.

Previous
1ST LAB RESULTS
Next
HCV Infection with normal abdominal scan

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.