Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Early Infection Results
May 19, 2002

Dr. Doctor,

I became infected in 2/02, tested poz in 4/02, and began treatment in 5/02. My concern is that prior to going on meds, my viral load began very low (till 60 days) and then continued to increase dramatically well after the normal "spike" per period. I have two questions: 1) What would explain a delayed and prolonged spike period? 2)What does an extremely high early viral load count (3MM) imply for my long-term prognosis?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

If you were truly infected in 2/02, than you would still be considered in the acute infection period when you started meds. If your viral load was 3 million during this time, we don't know what your setpoint after acute infection was, because you started meds very early. This means we can't assess your risk of progression. I am not sure we can say you had a delayed spike, unless you had serial weekly viral load tests over the first three months. MH

Previous
Infection to positive result on test
Next
Bad Medical Care??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.