|Effects of Re-infection
Mar 24, 2002
I've read that an HIV+ person can be re-infected. and it is possible to be re-infected by the same person. What is the effect of re-infection? Does it make the virus worse? Does it speed up the progression of the disease?
| Response from Dr. Holodniy
It has been extremely difficult to document reinfection with another strain. In the one documented case (although this case remains controversial), a person was reinfected with a multidrug resistant strain. We don't know the frequency of this phenomenon or what effect it might have on progression.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Groin Pain After Swallowing Cum Worried I Have HIV
- Pain In Urethra After Getting Fingered Worried I Have
- Swollen Glands After Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Testicular Pain After Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Can You Get Genital Herpes From A Cold Sore?
- Does Lactose Cause Vaginal Infections?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.