Contradicitng Information

I am a Pre-Med student and when we got to the chapter regarding, Immune Systems there was something that suprised me. It was in regards to HIV. It was a Biology text book. It said that it takes anywhere from 1 month to 12 months for antibodies to HIV to be detectible by current tests. However, from my personal experience it is from my understanding that it takes 3 months to be certain if the person is negative and up to 6 months according to the CDC and that is an ultra-conservative number according to many. And according to the CDC only 2 people have ever took longer then 6 months to sero-convert, and in one case it did take 12 months. But that is 2 out of 10,000,000.

Can you please comment on this matter on the window period and is 12 months accurate or 6? Who should I belive?

Thank you.

Believe your info and not the textbook. MH

antigen p24
Flu Shot and HIV Test