Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

antigen p24
Feb 14, 2001

Greetings doc, it's been nine months since I've been diagnosed, and was exposed approx. nine months to diagnosing. I've had three vl/cd4 counts done, with the numbers as follows exposed late summer of 1999 approx. diagnosed april 2000 18000/326 may 2000 33000/356 june 2000 8000/396 december 2000 I have elected not to take any meds for now, but keep a close eye on things. I'm hoping for newer meds with less side effects to come out. My goal is not to be on meds for at least five years, by then hopefully, they're will be something better out. I currently take various vitamins including nac. I hope with the vitamins and a lot of prayer all things will work for good. The question I have for you is the antigen p24, I've seen that they're is talk about p24, but i really don't understand it. When I was diagnosed they told me that i was p24 negative, which they said was good, exactly what does negative mean and positive in reference to p24. Thanks for your input, and any other suggestions you might have. I would not mind being in clinical studies, but only ones pertaining to vaccines. thanks again, g

Response from Dr. Holodniy

P24 antigen is a protein that is part of the HIV viral particle. During acute infection, it is produced in excess (that required to make viral particles) and can be detected in the blood serum by a commercial test. It is usually present for about 1-4 weeks after infection. Once antibodies begin to be produced, it disappears. Production can begin again in late stages of disease (AIDS) in those people not on treatment as a marker again of high viral replication. MH

Previous
viral load increase after years undetectable
Next
Contradicitng Information

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.