The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


Feb 14, 2001

After being the victim of a sexual assault, I experienced what I thought was ARS approx. 4 weeks later. Antibody tests were negative at 5.5 weeks, 9.5 weeks, and 16 weeks. RNA PCR at 18 weeks <400 copies. Should I be looking for a more sensitive test (i.e, <50 copies or can I trust these results. Still experiencing ongoing symptoms which may be attributable to stress and anxiety (i.e., GERD, rosacea, tingling sensation in legs and nerve endings in areas of head). PLEASE RESPOND!! I want to move on, but in reading this forum, I have come across a number of people who tested negative and indeed were positive and why is it that some who are positive have VL down to <50 copies.???CONFUSED!!

Response from Dr. Holodniy

You have to be careful in interpreting what people describe in this forum or anywhere else on the internet regarding antibody negative, but truly HIV-1 infected. These cases have not been objectively identified and verified. The first generation of viral load assays had lower level of detection limits down to 400-500 copies. These assays now have a threshold of 50 copies. People can be HIV-1 antibody positive (and infected) with viral loads that are <50 because of treatment, or because of successful immune system containment of viral replication. MH

VL Increase During Acute Hypothyroidism
pcr less sensitive?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint