Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Aids and Blood Work...still worried!!
Feb 14, 2001

Dear, Dr.Holodniy, Thank you so much for responding to my concern once again! I went to the Dr. w/ him yesterday and come to find out, his viral load is only 30,667. Someone had told me to add a zero to the paper work and that is what his viral load would be, but she said otherwise when I asked her yesterday. It is still concerning because it jumped up from 1354, which I assume would be 1,354. I find it odd that in September when he got out of the hospital, they were only 3,079! They had told us that his viral load was 275,065 when he got out of hospital, but that is neither here nor there now! I asked her if she had done a resistance test on him, she said no. She said she was worried because his viral load had shot up in a months time and put him on Trizivir along w/ the Viracept that he was already on. His cd4 remained to be 72 and didn't say anything about the cd4 or any other bloodwork. We have to wait until next week to find out what his viral load was last Monday. She stated that if it had gone up any that she doesn't feel like this new med. will work. I found that very upsetting. She said there was one more regimen after that and then if that doesn't work, we would be scrounging w/ the clinical trials. I asked her if the cd8 going up since he got out of the hospital was concerning to her and she said ,"No, I dont pay any attention to the cd8's". I asked her if they were killers cells, that would fight off cancer cells and other invading organisms, and she said, "No". Either I have no idea what I am talking about, or she doesn't. She also stated that she expected his viral load to be undetectable, and had Adam believing that they should be as well. Now, either I am wrong or she is. I thought that the goal is to get the viral load undetectable but for many it takes longer than 6 months after being on meds? He had almost died, Doc. said it was the worst case of P.C.P he had ever seen, and couldn't believe he was still alive. Plus his viral load was sooo high, supposedly. I am so very confused, and so is Adam and his wife. We don't know if he should get a new Dr. or if we are not giving her a chance..to do what she is supposed to know how to do. If you wonder why she hasn't done the test yet, well, I asked her that too, she said it was expensive... She also said that she wouldn't do one now, because it wouldn't change what she was doing, which is putting him on Trizivir...Please let me know what you think, I would appreciate it so much!! Again Thanks, for taking time out to answer our questions! Sincerely, Jennifer

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I would give the new regimen 1-2 months and see what the viral load is doing. If the viral load is not < 500-1,000 copies/ml, a resistance test should be done to see what the next choice in meds should be. MH

Previous
I'm still afraid and the WAITING is driving me insane!
Next
Have you ever seen

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.