Feb 14, 2001
I would really appreciate an explanation of the following. 1. Can viral load tests detect all genotypes of HIV I. What about HIV II [over 50 copies]? 2. Does everyone who tests HIV+ show a detectable viral load[ assuming that they are not taking any meds ]? 3. Why would a PCR test not detect HIV if it were present ?Would there be any other reason apart from the fact that it was below the detectable range ?
| Response from Dr. Holodniy
1. Most available viral load assays can detect clinically relevant and wide spread strains. HIV-1 viral load assays cannot detect HIV-2. 2. As far as I know.
3. If it were a strain with a genetic sequence that the assay could not detect.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Do People Get HIV From Sex With A Prostitute?
- Black Spots After Swallowing Cum Worried I Have HIV
- Burning Penis After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Diarrhea After Unprotected Vaginal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Red Spots After Rubbing Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Vomiting After Unprotected Oral Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.