Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

why the discrepancy in cd4 counts?
Feb 14, 2001

I am 43 and generally in good health - pos for 14 years, on meds 3 years, started with vl of 200,000 and cd4 of 190. Initially treated with triple drug therapy and have been >50 vl/non-detectable since. Im puzzled because my cd4 count has been as high as 890 and recently as low as 290. My Doctor said that it was just a blip and not to be concerned, but also added that my counts vary dramatically. I recently had bloodwork done on the same day within a couple hours apart and sent to different labs to understand if different labs read differently... results were cd4 540, and cd4 750 from each respective lab. The previous test (3 months prior) my cd4 count was 290 from the lab that now gave me results of 750. My doctor suggests it is very strange, but says not to worry. Am I unusual or does this happen often? Is testing reliable? Any suggestions? By the way, I cant express in words how much I appreciate your work online. Thank you so much for your time and care!

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Those kinds of swings are unusually high. There is great variation in the absolute CD4 numbers obtained between laboratories. Depending on the contracts your health providers have with laboratories, your counts could be done at different labs between your visits and you wouldn't know it. I would never react to one or two values, particularly if your viral load is staying <50. MH

Previous
High Viral load and high CD4
Next
ARS symptoms

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.