Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

High Viral load and high CD4
Feb 14, 2001

Dear Doctor, I am HIV+ since Feb00 and I discovered it last june. My CD4 have been always high (930 - 750 - 860 - 907), but also my viral load (60k, 240K, 80K, 200K). I feel very well (from a health point of view) although also very depressed due to this situation. My doctor, from a specialized centre here in Milan Italy, has now offered me to treat the infection, but I am very sceptical. I know that there are different views about it and with such a high viral load I probably should be treated. My view is to continue monitoring my situation and unless of a sudden decrease of my CD4 level (below 500), to stay away of treatment. I also know that sooner or later I will have to start it, but in the mean time I will give research and pharmaceutical companies more time to find out more effective or less complicated treatments. Is mine a fair view? Would I risk anything by doing it? Thank you in advance for your answer. Regards, Alessandro

Response from Dr. Holodniy

We are beginning to rethink when treatment should be initiated. New guidelines for treatment initiation are just being released. In general these new guidelines state that treatment could be deferred until the CD4 count is <350, and the viral load is < 30-50,000 copies/ml. If your viral load is > 50,000, treatment would be recommend based on prior studies showing the risk of progression in this group is much greater. You fall in this group, and I would probably recommend you start sooner and not wait for your CD4 cells to come down. MH

Previous
follow up to hiv 1 type o question
Next
why the discrepancy in cd4 counts?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.