The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Troublesome CD4 Counts

Feb 14, 2001

Dr. Thanks again for all your help. Brief history: I have been on HAART (Sustiva and Combivir) since I was diagnosed 2-99. At the time of diagnosis my VL = 51,000 and CD4 = about 190. Aside from 2 blips (up to about 200 VL), I have remained undetectable and overall happy with my regimen. My sluggish CD4 counts have been a bit bothersome to me, but at least I was seeing an upward trend in CD4 percentage - until now. In November 2000 I was undetectable and my CD4 made it all the way up to 29, from a one-time low of 14. However my last tests (1-30-2001) have shown a slight increase in VL to 146 and a small CD4 decline from 325 to 264. Furthermore my CD4 has dropped to 22. A 7 decrease. Needless to say, this has me worried. In addition, there was a stupid incident of possible re-exposure. My doc said he is not that worried and doesn't recommend a change just yet. He wants to retest in 1 month. Overall I take care of myself. I eat right, take vitamins and work out daily. Should I be concerned? Would you recommend resistance testing now? If so, would you prefer one over another? Should I consider a change in regimens?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I agree with your doctor, repeat and reevaluate. Your viral load is too low to do resistance testing. In general, viral loads need to be >1000 in order to perform the test. MH

Counselling at the Doctor Office?
follow up to hiv 1 type o question

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint