Monotherapy - Zerit

I have been on Viracept, Epivir, and Zerit combo. for nearly four years (never anything else). A recent test showed that only the Zerit is working - the others have failed. My viral load is only 1080 and my t-cells are 504(and I feel great). My Dr. wants me to stop Zerit and go with Trizivar and Viramune. But I feel differently. What is wrong with a Zerit only program if it's working? Thanks Doc

You are correct at one level, the zerit is working, but probably only for a while. You really want to get that viral load to < 50. You could cruise for awhile and see what the trend is on monotherapy, but I don't think that is wise. The trizavir (AZT/3TC/Abacavir) contains epivir (3TC), so it will only have 2/3 drugs working. Otherwise the regimen is an acceptable alternative and will produce the results you need. MH

Hiv 1/2 combo testing
A different angle