Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What's the deal?
Feb 7, 2001

Hi Dr. Holodniy ... I've been infected for many years. Can you tell me why I can consistently have viral loads in the 200,000 - 500,000 copies range and yet still maintain average TCell counts of 200? This has been the situation for the past six years. My doctor's goal has been to achieve undetectable viral load but this has never happened. Is viral load really as important a number as originally thought?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Good question. You may be one of those few people, and we only find this out over time (many years and many CD4 counts), who have high replication rates, but maybe a wimpy virus and relatively stable CD4 counts. This could be related to multi-drug resistance or other genetic factors in you. MH

Previous
POSITIVE FROM ENGLAND
Next
Is a 2 log fall in viral load a good start?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.