Current ideas on VL vs. infectiousness

I have recently been able to lower my VL to 2,000 after being in the 100,000+ range since my diagnosis (over 18 months ago). I have heard and read that a lower viral load presents a lower danger of transmission to a non-infected sexual partner. As I am currently seeing and being intimate with a negative man, I am curious about the veracity of this assertion. What are your thoughts on this and what, if any, tests and/or studies have been done to support your answer? Thank you in advance.

A recent study in the New England Journal of Medicine found in discordant couples in Africa, that HIV infection in the negative partner was unlikely if the viral load was < 1500/ml. I am not sure I would test the observation. Safety first. MH

Unprotected sex
Antibody Detection