Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Elevated ALT and high AST and Alkaline Phosphatase
Feb 24, 2002

I am 40 and generally healthy. However, I am a Hepatitis B carrier.

Recently I drank a spoiled soya milk and became ill. I was very weak but there was no vomit or diarrhea, only dizziness and stuffiness in my stomach. I had a dark (not black) stool once but doctor found trace of blood. My RBC and HCT were low and high RDW. But 2 weeks later, these tests to go back to normal. I have done 3 blood tests in 1 month.

However, at that time my ALT was at 71 but now it went up to 85. I also noticed that even they are within the range, my AST and Alkaline Phosphatase went up from 36 & 64 to 43 & 89 respectively.

My Ferritin is 32 and Glucos Plasma random is 7.4 which is also out of range. Ultra sound found my liver has some fat. Sometimes I feel some pinching in my liver area. But other than that I feel fine. What could have gone wrong? It seems to have all started from the time I drank that spoiled soy milk.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Those mildly elevated liver enzymes may be the result of HBV, another form of hepatitis, alchohol ingestion, medication interactions, or something in the milk.

Previous
HOW AM I PROGRESSING?
Next
Liver counts high ALT59 and AST 43

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.