No Symptoms/Low CD4 Count at Beginning of Tx./Why?

I "was" a healthy 27 year old man, dx last week with HIV..CD4 276 & Viral Load 13,000. Infection was some time in the last year. I have no symptoms. Why would my CD4 count by so low at the beginning of Tx? What does that mean? Thank you for your help!

It's all a function of where your immune system was before HIV infection. We don't normally know what our CD4 counts are before infection. There is a normal range between 500-1500. Also during acute infection (within the first few months of infection), the values go down and then tend to drift back up approaching normal levels. It can also be a function of how virulent the viral strain is that you were infected with and how good your immune system is in containing replication. MH

Bun/Creatine ratio and hep c
HIV attacking central nervous system