Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

pediatric hiv
Dec 8, 2000

My 4 year old son has recently had his meds switched based on two viral loads >100,000. We repeated the viral load one more time just prior to the med switch. I was very surprised to see that his viral load had gone down to 36,000 where it had been for about two years. Resistance testing found his virus to be resistant to all his previous meds. It has been very trying as we have endured g-tube placement, anxiety over med selection, severe Nevirapine rash and much pain and suffering for my son. I am hoping we didn't jump the gun and change things too soon. Options are limited so we wanted to preserve as many meds as possible for as long as we could. What are your thoughts on why his viral load would change and how helpful is resistance testing in guiding tx. decisions?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I think this question got lost for awhile. Sorry. Although 2 viral loads were >100,000 and a third was 36,000 prior to treatment, this could represent a couple of things. One were there any other illnesses going on during the first couple of tests? Second this could be assay variability. Even at 36,000, I would have made the change in treatment. In your son's case, resistance testing was helpful because it confirmed failure of the regimen and justified changing his meds. I think the test can be very helpful in the right clinical situations.

MH

Previous
ANTI VIRALS
Next
resistance tests price

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.