Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

VL margin of error & accuracy of antibody test
Dec 15, 2000

Hi, I was diagnosed with HIV and HBV 8 months ago (I was tested as part of a general wellness physical, not because of any symptoms). My exposure to HIV was at least 4 years ago. In that time I have had 4 sets of VL and CD4 tests. They were (from earliest to most recent) 990/275, 770/290, 650/490, 490/475.

The first two sets were taken a month apart, and the last 2 at 3 month intervals after that. I am on no treatments (for either HIV or HBV). My tests were all taken at the same lab so I assume the VL test method was the same each time. My doctor says that the viral loads are statistically the same. At what point would the VL counts not be statistically the same? When the VL is under 200? When it's undetectable?

I'm thinking of asking for another HIV antibody test if my VL continues to decrease without meds because I read the HBV can result in false positives in HIV tests. Am I just deluded in thinking that may be the case?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Undetectable is currently "< 50 copies/ml". Your viral load levels are all statistically and biologically the same. Current assays have about a 1.5 to 2 fold (2 times) assay variation rate. That is testing the same sample multiple times on the same and different days. The variability goes up slightly when samples from different days are tested. An HBV test should not affect an HIV viral load test. MH

Previous
Concerned about my numbers
Next
HARRt regimen has stopped working . can IL-2 help?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.